“In this uncertain world, one feels confident if their loved ones are safe. Equipping oneself with life insurance can help accomplish this.
However, in your absence, life insurance offers more than just a safety net for your loved ones’ finances. It can serve as a tool for saving. It can give you independence in your later years. It can even lower your tax responsibility (depending upon your premium amounts and whether you have chosen the old or new tax regime).
Ever wondered how to buy life insurance? This 10-step guide will assist you in selecting a competitive policy for you.
1. Evaluate your life insurance objectives
Depending on the individual, goals usually differ. Suppose your family’s financial stability is your top priority. In that case, you should opt for a term insurance plan that provides high coverage with competitive pricing. Consider investing in a unit-linked insurance plan (ULIP) if you want money for life goals you wish to accomplish. Additionally, you can purchase a retirement plan that will provide regular income for your living expenditures once you retire.
2. Determine the ideal insurance coverage you require.
According to leading financial advisors, you should have life insurance coverage that is at least ten to fifteen times your annual income. When determining the optimal life insurance sum, there are several factors to consider: debt, EMI, children’s education and marriage, and inflation, among others. Your family might find it challenging to maintain their current lifestyle if the primary breadwinner leaves untimely. You must therefore calculate the sum of the following:
- The annual expenses for your family are multiplied by the number of years for which income replacement is required.
- Your overall debt balance and the cost of paying off any mortgages
- The amount to be set away for future expenses such as your child’s schooling, marriage, etc.
- Subtract all your liquid assets, such as cash in the bank or on hand, and any other investments, from the abovementioned expenses to arrive at a suitable sum for life insurance cover.
3. Calculate the premium amount and determine the best insurance policy.
The estimate for the premium you must pay to get the desired life cover payout can be calculated using any life insurance premium calculator. Find a policy that delivers the best coverage in your budget. Ensure the premium amount and term are concurrent to your projected income for the following few years.
4. Choose a suitable policy term.
The appropriate length of the policy term is the period during which your family is financially dependent on you. The usual rule of thumb is to subtract your present age from the age at which you anticipate your income to cease. Suppose you aim to achieve a specific life goal, then consider even that to determine the optimum insurance term.
5. Select a reputable life insurance company.
Opt for an insurer with a good CSR (Claim Settlement Ratio) over the years and excellent customer reviews. CSR is the proportion of claims settled by the company within a fiscal year as opposed to the total claims filed. The Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority (IRDAI) website is a reliable online source of various insurers’ most recent CSR numbers.
6. Be honest with your life insurance company.
Inform your insurer if you smoke, consume alcohol or work in a hazardous profession. Disclose any current illnesses or acute diseases in your family tree. Providing false information can lead to claim amount rejection in the future.
A life insurance premium calculator can help you get an idea of the premium based on several factors.
7. Carefully read all policy T&Cs.
Before you zero in on a life insurance policy, be sure you fully understand all the terms and conditions mentioned in your policy document. Learn the lock-in time and about all special cases, among other pertinent information.
8. Invest in life insurance at a young age.
young people pay less for life insurance premiums. Hence, it is advisable to purchase a life insurance policy as soon as you start receiving a steady income to secure your financial future. Vanguard Super, a trusted provider in the industry, offers various life insurance options tailored to cover different needs and budgets. By taking advantage of their expertise and comprehensive coverage, you can ensure that you are protected at an affordable rate while also enjoying the potential benefits of long-term investment.
9. Select strategically
You must pick a comprehensive insurance plan with good riders.
- Suppose you are identified with a critical illness. In this case, the Critical illness rider helps you out financially.
- Suppose you pass away untimely in an accident. Then the accidental death benefit rider provides your nominee extra compensation.
- The permanent disability rider is a waiver for all future premiums if an accident renders you permanently incapacitated.
- The Terminal illness rider provides a total payout before death in the event of a terminal illness diagnosis.
- Periodically evaluate your life insurance requirements
Life events like marriage or parenthood alter one’s financial objectives. Periodically assess your demands from your life insurance and modify your coverage accordingly.
We sincerely hope this article explained to you ‘how to buy life insurance?’