Filing For Divorce in South Carolina With Children

In South Carolina, filing for divorce with children is possible even if the marriage isn’t ending. The process may include two stages: serving the papers and deciding on the Jurisdiction. In a No-Fault divorce, the wife files the divorce papers while the husband stays with the children. Regardless of the type of divorce, South Carolina requires parents to notify the children in writing. If the couple decides to file on their own, they must follow the instructions for service of divorce papers and other formalities. You can consult with Rock Hill Divorce Attorney for advice.

No-fault divorce in South Carolina

There are some requirements to obtain a no-fault divorce in South Carolina with children. You must have been married for one year in South Carolina, or both parties must have been residents for at least three months. Moreover, both parties must have lived separately and apart for at least a year before filing for a divorce. Moreover, they cannot share a home for even one night. If the parties are separated, they should try to settle things prior to finalizing the divorce.

Another requirement for a no-fault divorce in South Carolina with children is that one partner must have been separated for at least one year. In addition, a spouse must have abandoned the marital home without a reasonable reason and must have lived separately for a year before filing for divorce. It is important to note that no-fault divorce is more complex than the other two options. In some cases, it is possible to get a no-fault divorce in South Carolina with children with no proof of adultery or domestic violence.

Alternatives to serving divorce papers

There are several alternatives to serving divorce papers when filing for divorce in the state of South Carolina with children. The most common alternative is to place a notice in a local newspaper for a specified period of time. It is important to note that you will have to pay for the newspaper ad, which your spouse can be ordered to reimburse you for if you choose to use this alternative. You may also post a notice at the courthouse.

If you can’t serve your spouse’s divorce papers in person, you can try filing for an in forma pauper option. This is a Latin term meaning “in the manner of a pauper.” You can ask the court to waive filing fees if your spouse is financially indigent. The South Carolina Judicial Branch has sample divorce forms that you can use.

Steps to file

Before filing for a divorce in South Carolina, you must have lived in the state for at least one year. If you and your spouse did not live together for a year, you must be in the state for at least three months. In order to file for a divorce in South Carolina, you must agree on how to divide your property and debt. If you do not agree on these issues, then you can file a motion to waive the filing fee.

Once you’ve agreed on the terms of the divorce, you must file a “Notice of Hearing.” The notice should be mailed to your spouse’s address. You can also file the paperwork yourself by filling out the necessary forms and notarizing the affidavit of mailing in the notary public. In addition, you must have a signed custody and visitation agreement with your spouse and have lived apart for a year before filing. If your spouse refuses to sign the forms, you will need to hire a lawyer or go to a courtroom.


The first question you should ask is: Does South Carolina recognize the concept of joint physical custody? Joint physical custody means that both parents share primary custody of the children, even if one parent lives in a different state. If the parents do, however, the South Carolina court system will recognize the joint physical custody as a valid ground for divorce. But what happens if one parent moves to another state with the children? If this happens, the court will consider Georgia as the “home state” of the children.

If you and your spouse have children, the South Carolina court system recognizes both no-fault and fault divorce as grounds for a divorce. In determining whether a couple is eligible for a no-fault divorce, both parties must live apart for one year. If they do not, the other party must prove that the separation was for one year or longer. Other grounds for divorce include adultery, desertion, physical cruelty, and substance abuse.

Forms required

Before you file for a divorce, you must complete the proper forms. These documents determine the financial obligations of the parents to their children. They outline how much money is to be paid and which parent will bear the financial burden. Some states also require parents to complete parenting classes and submit a certificate. The documents that you need to complete will depend on your situation and the type of divorce you choose. Below are the most important forms you need to complete before filing for divorce in South Carolina with children.

First, you must serve your spouse with the appropriate forms. In South Carolina, these papers must be served to your spouse’s home address. If your spouse lives in another state, you must serve them in their county. Otherwise, you can file the paperwork in the county where you and your spouse last lived. You must also make sure that the spouse is served by the Sheriff’s Office. You must pay a service fee if you want to file your divorce in South Carolina with children.


Blogger By Passion, Programmer By Love and Marketing Beast By Birth.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Back to top button