If you are a dentist who wants to advance your career and specialize in a particular field of dentistry, you might be wondering if an MDS degree is the right choice for you. In this blog, we will provide you with a complete guide on an MDS degree.
By the end of this blog, we hope you’ll have a clear idea of whether studying in MDS colleges in UP or any other state in India is suitable for your goals and aspirations.
All About the MDS Degree
An MDS degree is a three-year full-time course that can be offered by either government or private dental colleges in UP or other states. MDS stands for Master of Dental Surgery, and it is a postgraduate degree that allows you to gain expertise in one of the nine recognised dental specialities in India.
To obtain an MDS degree in any of these specialities, you need to complete a rigorous curriculum that includes theoretical lectures, practical sessions, seminars, case presentations, research projects, clinical rotations, and examinations at MDS colleges in UP. You also need to submit a dissertation based on your original research work at the end of the course at the best dental colleges in Delhi NCR or elsewhere. Check out the table below to get an overview of this course.
|Course Name||Master of Dental Surgery (MDS)|
|Eligibility Criteria||BDS + NEET MDS pass|
|Average Course Fee||INR 5 – 10 Lakhs|
|Average Salary||INR 4 – 10 Lakhs|
An MDS degree from MDS colleges in UP or elsewhere trains you to become a specialist in one of the following dental disciplines:
- Prosthodontics and Crown & Bridge:This specialisation deals with the restoration and replacement of missing or damaged teeth and oral structures using artificial materials such as crowns, bridges, implants, dentures, etc.
- Periodontology:This specialisation deals with the prevention, diagnosis, and treatment of diseases and conditions affecting the gums and supporting tissues around the teeth.
- Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery:This specialisation deals with the surgical management of diseases, injuries, and defects involving the mouth, jaws, face, and neck.
- Conservative Dentistry and Endodontics:This specialisation deals with the conservation and restoration of decayed or damaged teeth.
- Orthodontics and Dentofacial Orthopedics:This specialisation deals with the correction of malocclusion (improper bite) and misalignment of teeth and jaws.
- Oral Pathology and Microbiology: This specialisation deals with the study of diseases affecting the oral cavity and related structures using microscopic, biochemical, immunological, and molecular methods.
- Public Health Dentistry:This specialisation deals with the promotion of oral health and prevention of dental diseases in the general population through proactive measures like community-based programs, research, education, and policy-making.
- Pedodontics and Preventive Dentistry:This specialisation deals with the oral health care of children from birth to adolescence, including preventive measures as well as treatment.
- Oral Medicine and Radiology:This specialisation deals with the diagnosis and management of diseases that affect the oral cavity and related structures.
Eligibility Criteria and Admission Process
To be eligible for an MDS degree at MDS colleges in UP or anywhere else in India, you need to fulfil the following criteria:
- Have a BDS (Bachelor of Dental Surgery) degree from a recognized dental college in India or abroad.
- Complete one year of compulsory rotatory internship after obtaining your BDS degree.
- Be registered with the Dental Council of India (DCI) or any state dental council as a licensed dentist.
- Qualify in the National Eligibility cum Entrance Test (NEET) MDS exam conducted by the National Board of Examinations (NBE) every year.
What are the Benefits of Pursuing an MDS Degree?
Pursuing an MDS course from MDS colleges in UP or elsewhere can offer you several benefits that can enhance your professional growth and personal satisfaction. Some of these benefits are:
- You can become a recognised expert in your chosen field of dentistry and gain respect and recognition from your peers at MDS colleges in UP or elsewhere, and even your patients.
- You can increase your knowledge and skills in your area of specialisation and stay updated with the latest developments and innovations in dentistry.
- You can provide better quality care to your patients by offering them specialised treatments that cater to their specific needs and expectations.
- You can increase your earning potential by charging higher fees for your services. Another option is working in reputed institutions like DJ College of Dental Sciences and Research or organisations that offer attractive salaries and perks.
- You can expand your career opportunities by working as a consultant, teacher, researcher, administrator, etc in various dental colleges, hospitals, clinics, or even in the private sector.
- You can pursue further studies at MDS colleges in UP or research in your specialisation area or related fields by enrolling in PhD or fellowship programs in India or abroad.
Career Prospects after Completing an MDS Degree
After completing an MDS degree, you can pursue a rewarding career in various fields related to dentistry. Some of the career options include the following:
You can work as a specialist dentist in your own clinic or join an existing clinic or hospital as a consultant or associate. An MDS will allow you to offer specialised dental services to your patients and earn a good income.
You can work as a faculty member or lecturer in dental colleges in UP for MDS and teach undergraduate or postgraduate students in your specialisation area. Professors can also conduct workshops, seminars, or continuing dental education (CDE) programs for other dentists or students.
You can work as a researcher or scientist in a dental research institute or organisation and conduct original research projects in your specialisation area or related fields. Researchers can also publish their research findings in reputed journals or present them at national or international conferences.
You can work as an administrator or manager in a dental college, hospital, clinic, or private sector and handle various aspects such as planning, budgeting, staffing, quality control, etc.
You can start your own venture or business related to dentistry such as a dental laboratory, dental equipment manufacturing, dental tourism, etc.
An MDS degree is a valuable qualification that can help you achieve your career goals and personal satisfaction as a dentist. However, it also requires a lot of hard work and dedication which is why you need to carefully consider your interests and aptitude before deciding to enrol in MDS colleges in UP or elsewhere. It still provides you with many benefits such as increased knowledge, skills, recognition, income, and opportunities which makes it worth pursuing for BDS graduates.
- What are the specialised job roles I can get with an MDS?
Some of the specialised job roles in dentistry that you can get with an MDS, depending on the specialisation you pursued are Endodontist, Orthodontist, Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon, Periodontist, etc.
- Which is the best dental college for MDS in the Delhi NCR region?
DJ College of Dental Sciences and Research is the best college for MDS in the Delhi NCR region.
- Which specialisation of dentistry is offered by DJ College of Dental Sciences and Research in their MDS course?
DJ College of Dental Sciences and Research offers MDS courses with all of the 9 specialisations to choose from.
- Does DJ College of Dental Sciences and Research offer scholarships?
Yes, DJ College of Dental Sciences and Research also offers scholarship options for deserving candidates.